Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Drinkable Rainstorm in a Cup


I had some trouble naming this springy, sprite punch/experiment.  It was made as a nod to the shaving cream/water/and food coloring - "rainstorm in a cup" experiments, popular this time of year.  But, instead of shaving cream, water and food coloring, we used lemon-lime soda-pop, frozen Cool Whip, and a blue Kool-Aid type drink for a...


...Drinkable Rainstorm!  Except, of course, that most rainstorms are drinkable in some manner, or other, so that name is just silly.  But you get the idea, I'm sure.

To make your own drinkable rainstorm experiment, pour clear soda-pop into a clear glass...


...add a few scoops of frozen Cool Whip, or whipping cream (creating a foamy science experiment, dealing with nucleation and fat coated bubbles, in and of itself)...


...wait for the bubbles to die down a bit...


...then add the blue drink, one drop at a time, to the top of the Cool Whip...


...until it becomes heavy enough (like water in a cloud) to rain down into the cup.


The "rainstorm" passes quickly, leaving behind a blue sky colored drink, topped with a few puffy, white, whip cream clouds...


...just like our spring sky today, only...well, you know...


...drinkable.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

That is so much fun. I will have to think about how to do that with our food allergies. I could freeze real whip cream and use corn free soda. Hmm, what to do about the blue dye ~ I will figure it out! You have such great ideas!
Blessings, Dawn

MaryAnne said...

Very cool experiment! I'll have to think about a no-dye alternative, too. Maybe blueberry juice (diluted with something, probably - it's too dark otherwise). We were talking about rain and clouds a lot on our drive home this week - we drove through several rainstorms and hail storms!

Ticia said...

I want my own rainstorm now. Perfect timing for this post because we're studying weather.

claireshomeeducation said...

Great idea, although I'm not sure I could actually drink it - the children would but it reminds me of a drink my friends at uni drank (Baileys and coke) The mix of fizz with dairy produce was not a good look!