Friday, November 4, 2011

World Map - Cookies and Puzzle

I pulled out a Ravensburger "Discover and Learn" Map of the World Puzzle to keep the children busy, while I was working on all the apples this week.

Although I noticed in the Amazon reviews there were a few complaints about the accuracy and the placement of the equator, we found it to be an excellent puzzle. Not only are the continents and oceans labeled, but individual countries too, shown with their flags, and capitals marked.

There is also a list of interesting world facts, only slightly out of date in reference to population, and a very nice full color poster to hang on the wall, once the puzzle is taken apart, and put back in the box.

At 200 pieces, D (age 8) found it a little daunting to attempt on his own, even though the puzzle is marked for ages 8 and up, but lucky for him, his older brother was willing to lend a hand.


While the boys worked away on the puzzle, the girls were inspired to make a cookie version of the map (I can't imagine where they'd get such an idea).


They used the enclosed poster to trace out the general outline of the continents on wax paper...


...for a template...


...to cut the dough around (click here for the recipe) into map shapes.


Once the cookies were baked and cooled, I mixed up a batch of butter cream frosting for them, and colored it to match the colors of the continents on the puzzle.


They did such a great job, I almost didn't have the heart to tell them they'd frosted the wrong side of Africa.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

14 comments:

sarah in the woods said...

I LOVE the cookies. Definitely filing this one away for when I do geography with the littles next year.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is great, but I had to laugh about Africa frosting :)

Phyllis said...

Wonderful idea! {I wouldn't have told them either.} So, when is the Cookies Across the Curriculum coming out?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phyllis - Our Plymouth Rock cookies made it into FamilyFun Magazine this month, and just the paperwork for that nearly did me in :)

Unknown said...

First of all- Eeeeek! FAMILY FUN? That is so awesome Leah!!!!

Second of all- Like mother, like daughter...you are raising some wonderfully creative kiddos!

Anya said...

Awesome idea!

PenPen said...

What an awesome idea! Those cookies look great!

Debbie said...

You never cease to amaze me with the ideas that you come up with. I love the idea of making cookies to represent the countries.

Mariann said...

simply fantastic!

Ticia said...

I'm not surprised your cookies made it in Family Fun, it's more why did it take so long?

Did she figure out it was backwards?

Donna said...

Great idea of cutting the cookies out to match the shapes on the puzzle!
You always have such great ideas!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - T was good enough to point it out, and to offer to eat the mistake :)

Wonder Mom - Thanks - I was pretty blown away to have something of mine included in FamilyFun - it's such a creative and inspiring magazine, and they were so nice - I think your "Eeeek!" sums it up.

Christy Killoran said...

Well, turn it over and frost the other side - extra yummy!!! This is a great cookie project!!!

Cool about Family Fun!! I am always too lazy to send them ideas!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

This so cute & clever - LOVE it! I would love for you to come link it up at my TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
Beth =-)