Friday, November 25, 2011

There Was A Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow - Craft

The children have been quoting from Alison Jackson's I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie, all week long.

I know an old lady who swallowed a pie, a Thanksgiving pie, which was really too dry. Perhaps she'll die.

They really like that last line - a lot. So, I when I saw Lucille Colandro's There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow, at the library, I knew we'd have to check it out, as soon as Thanksgiving was over.

It follows the same line as the original "Old Lady" story (you know, the one who swallowed the fly), but with a wintry remake. This time the old lady, or rather cold lady, has a hard time keeping her snacks down. After swallowing snow, a pipe, some coal, a hat, a stick, and a scarf, she hiccups and hiccups, and out pops a...well, I'm sure you can guess. I figured the children could too, but just to be sure, I stopped reading the story before turning to the last page, and pulled out a few supplies for a quick review.

I gave them a batch of homemade white play dough for snow (made using the cream of tarter recipe), a piece of bendy straw for a pipe, a few small play dough balls for coal, a construction paper hat I made following instructions from ikatbag, pipe cleaner sticks, and a felt scrap scarf.

I had the girls arrange the items in the order the cold lady swallowed them.


Then, I asked them to make what they thought she hiccuped out...


...before turning to the last page of the book to see if they were right.


It's great to be a homeschooler

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Very cute. We enjoy all of the books in this series.

Phyllis said...

I love this! Great snowman!

Ticia said...

What a cute idea! I'm with Christy I love the books in this series!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Thanks for sharing this.

Tina Hollenbeck said...

Just stopping by to say hi from the Homeschool Blog Awards. :^)

Tina H.
Being Made New (http://tinahollenbeck.blogspot.com)

Debbie said...

That is such a neat idea. Their snowman looks so cute.

Jackie Higgins said...

We are supposed to get our first snow here on Sunday. (Probably just flurries). We might have to try this one, though!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love it - we might make this in December (this, of course, relies on me being able to prep for this craft :))

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

I called Jon (10) in and asked if he'd like ot make one of your snowmen tomorrow and he got really excited. He LOVES making snowmen. A little hard over here on the coast . . Thanks !