Sunday, November 20, 2011

Make And Takes For Kids - Craft Book Review

Marie LeBaron from MakeandTakes.com, sent us a copy of her new book, Make and Takes for Kids, to take a look at and review.

I love the Make and Takes website, and not just because Almost Unschoolers has been linked there a couple of times (insert big grin here), but because it's packed full of easy to make, why-didn't-I-think-of-that-? type projects, which just so happens to be the same reason I can recommend Make and Takes for Kids.

It contains fifty crafts, four or five - including a smattering of crafty foods, for each month of the year.

At first glance, many of the crafts seem familiar, but a closer inspection reveals a tiny twist making each one even more fun, from pipe cleaners on the pet rocks (photo credit to Nicole Gerulet of A Little Sussy)...


...to adding a glow stick to the tissue paper fire...


...for that extra touch of glowing realism. I thought it was, quite literally, brilliant! We tried it out this afternoon, and my younger girls(ages 5 and 6) went wild for it.


Many of the craft ideas lend themselves nicely to pretend play, making the book a great addition to any boredom buster library.

It's available right now through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Walmart.com, and Wiley.com, where you can also find a free craft page, with even more crafting ideas.

And, for an added bonus, you can even catch a glimpse of Marie, demonstrating one of the crafts from the book, in a video clip from Good Things Utah.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Love the fire with glowstick - have to try it out soon!

Christy Killoran said...

Sounds great!!! I love your photo of the campfire!!

Ticia said...

Hmmmm....... I might have to add that to my list of books I want. I agree that fire with the glowstick is GENIUS!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Thanks for the fun review. Love how your campfire turned out!! :)