Saturday, March 26, 2011

Nesting Bag Craft

The younger girls spotted a new nest, in a nearby tree. There was quite a bit of excitement, as I'm sure you can imagine.




They wanted to give the mama bird something to make her nest soft, and warm, like the one in Constantine Georgiou's The Nest, that we read earlier in the week.



I remembered seeing a nesting bag, made by the gals over at the Frugal Family Fun Blog, last year. Actually, I had set aside a mesh fruit bag, with just that project in mind. So, I pulled it out, along with some various bits of fluff, yarn, strips of cloth, and hair. E (age 6), took the job of cleaning out the hairbrushes. Gross I know, but we read that birds love hair for their nests, because it's so soft, and we have plenty, so why not share?


The girls stuffed all their gifts into the bag...


...pulling bits out through the mesh, for the birds to grab.


Then, I tied it closed, and the Man of the House helped them slip it over the branch, of one of the trees, in the backyard...



...and to fill the bird feeder, to draw in our feathered friends.


I have to admit, I'm a little skeptical if we'll have any takers for our fluff. With the bits of fabric, and yarn moving in the wind, it looks more like something that should scare birds away, rather than invite them in. But, it will be interesting to watch, and see.

For more fun with science, check out this week's Science Sunday link-up over at Adventures in Mommydom.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

mom4 said...

i bit the birds do . maybe not soon but when building new nest
ABCJESSHOUSE

kewkew said...

Hope you plan on posting an update. I am interested to see what will happen.
Just wanted to let you know I have a blog award for you over at my blog
http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-was-given-award.html
Blessings

Ticia said...

I've actually had a mesh bag sitting there for about 2 weeks waiting for me to make ours. Isn't that sad?

Christy Killoran said...

We always brush our dog outside and I have seen birds fly away with bits of fur! I hope the birds enjoy your gifts!

Phyllis said...

That is a sweet craft. They look so interested in the project!

Deborah said...

I wonder if it really works! I have not tried it so you will have to give an update!

Susan said...

We started saving scraps of yarn and fabric and threads in mesh bags a while back. I hadn't thought of putting hair in there...hmmm...I bet the girls would like that idea :) We plan to put our bags out soon.

That book "The Nest" looks like a beautiful book!

Laurie said...

I don't know about birds, but we had a squirrel pull an entire Ninja Turtle sheet up our tree once. It was really funny to see. Please share if you have any takers- I bet you do.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am curious to see what happens with the fluff. How neat that you can watch the nest being built so close to your home.