Monday, February 21, 2011

A Whale of a Math Lesson


Last night, we learned about different types of quadrilaterals...


...lines of symmetry...


...and things like congruent, and scalene triangles...


...all while making a pretty nifty, origami whale...


...thanks to a free, Scholastic printable (click here, to find it, and another origami math project) from Karen Baicker...

...adapted from her book, Origami Math, Grades 2-3.


It's great to be a homeschooler!

Linked with Joyful Learner's Math Monday, where you can find more math activities, and ideas for children.

8 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a wonderful way to learn geomety!

Joyful Learner said...

You've inspired me to get our origami book out when our 10 year friend came over. It turns out she's quite the origamist! There is a lot of visual math and even problem solving in origami, isn't there? Thanks for linking!

Christy Killoran said...

This is great! I have a thing for whales. I grew up in New Bedford, MA - if you have read Moby Dick, New Bedford (once the whaling capital of the world) is the setting. So, we always spent a lot of time learning about whales in school and I think they are magnificent. Anyway, I like the origami!

Unknown said...

Looks like y'all had a whale good time! (hee! hee!)

Shonni said...

It IS great to be a home schooler.
Thanks for sharing this...it looks wonderful and my children are really into this right now.

Ticia said...

That's a whale of a tale!

Susan said...

Thanks for the book suggestion! I just placed it on hold at our library :0)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am amazed with how you pick up a topic and run with it - it's like watching a master at work. I have to bookmark this entire sequence "for later".