Monday, February 22, 2010

Edible Glossy Paint


I had planned on using the can of sweetened condensed milk above, to make another batch of Dulce de Leche, but I found different use for it at KinderArt.com, that was easier on my waistline, and a fun art activity for the kids, to boot.

I divided the sweetened condensed milk out into several bowls, and a few drops of food coloring to each bowl. After a quick taste, we were ready to paint.



I tried to discourage further tasting once the paint brushes went in, but that was really a futile effort.


The kids had a great time sampling, and painting. The texure of this paint is pretty unique, it's thick, and needless to say - sticky, but it spreads, and blends nicely, and dries with a pretty glossy texture.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

~jan said...

I had forgotten about this recipe. Thanks for the reminder. I used to do this with preschoolers when making Easter egg decorations.

Ticia said...

So, did it stain your fingers? It seems like the food dye in it would stain your fingers.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It wasn't bad, when mixed with the milk. The only staining I had, was from where I spilled food coloring on my thumb while I was opening the bottle - nothing like an actual green thumb to say, I'm a homeschooler!

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

We love painting with the thick, glossy condensed milk too - usually around Easter - we tint the milk lightly to make pretty pastels. :)

SaRAW said...

That's an interesting idea. We can't have milk, but I'm sure we can come up with something edible to paint with when our son is older. Looks like they had fun! :)

http://www.natural-parenting.net